Sunday, October 7, 2018

Liang - Cupertino Residents Deserve a Calm Election without Interference

From: Liang-Fang Chao
Date: Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 7:41 PM
Subject: Cupertino Residents Deserve a Calm Election without Interference
To: City Council <citycouncil@cupertino.org>



Dear Council Member Sinks,

       I have just posted the following on Nextdoor. Some people, distributing Sand Hill flyers with your photos, have been intimidating residents at the Library. If they simply want to distribute flyers, they can easily do it in front of the library entrance, far away from Better Cupertino booth. And they don't have to yell at people walking by. They can talk to people one on one and have a real conversation, as other people usually do.
     You can condone such behavior of course and say you have no responsibility. But do you really?
Or, you could reach out to Sand Hill to ask them to give Cupertino residents the respects we deserve.
Thank you.
Liang Chao.

Dear Council Member Savita Vaidhyanathan,

        These people collecting photos and videos for a smear campaign by creating disturbance and intimidating Cupertino residents are apparently paid by your supporter, Sand Hill Properties, whether they donated to your campaign or not. They want to smear me so that you could get elected. Do you want to get elected through such smear campaign created by intimidating Cupertino residents?
You can condone such behavior of course and say you have no responsibility. But do you really?
Or, you could reach out to Sand Hill to ask them to give Cupertino residents the respects we deserve.
Thank you.
Liang Chao.

================================
2018-10-07 Cupertino Residents Deserve a Calm Election without Interference (posted on Nextdoor)

This afternoon I stopped by the Library for a little bit to talk to residents in between events and errands. I was so thirsty from a meet-and-greet near N. Portal that I need something to drink. At Better Cupertino booth, someone handed me a juice box and told me that those Sand Hill-paid people who are distributing Rod Sinks door-hangers next the the booth gave them to us. I thought that's so nice. I went over to thank them. They immediately started shouting something and it ended with "You need to stay 15 feet away." I was totally confused. I backed away.

Later I saw a resident was videotaping them while talking to them. She seems upset. I walked over to tell the resident: "Just let them be. They are just doing their job. Don't engage with them." To my surprise, those Sand Hill-paid people immediately turned their camera to me and started yelling at me: "How can you involve a young child in this? Shame on you." Then, I noticed that a little girl was clinging to the mom, who is videotaping. The little girl clearly was afraid of the big guy. The brave mom stood there unfettered continue videotaping. Apparently, they have instructions to create disturbance involving Liang Chao to use against me. I backed way while they continue to yell "Shame on you."

What has Cupertino become? Who has hired these people who intentionally want to create situations so that they can use against residents? Better Cupertino booth is at the far corner near the parking lot. They could put their booth anyway in front of the library. Yet, they choose to set the booth right next to Better Cupertino booth and continues to shout out things to passers-by. They intimidate people who come over to sign the referendum petition.

At the meet-and-greet in N. Portal, some residents stopped by and thanked us to bring the referendum petitions over. They said "We are afraid to go to the Library to sign. It's scary."
Who is behind such scaring tactics?

At one point, one of the Sand Hill-paid guy told me that he got a photo of me handing out flyers inside the library. (Does that violate any rule? I am not sure.) It seems they are doing everything they can to smear me with every scrap of evidence they can come up with. Yesterday, I went to the Library too and talked to residents as usual. I was talking to one resident as he walked towards the library entrance. I walked with him with a Vallco flyer at hand. We stopped at the lobby inside the library as his wife and son went inside. We talked a little bit more. Then, we parted. I continued to go into the library to use the restroom.
The Sand Hill-paid people must have taken a picture of me inside the Library with a flyer.
Apparently, they will get paid for such photos. Wow. I feel like a celebrity. Everything I do or say will get videotaped or photographed. How special!
What kind of smear campaign will appear in social media? Let's wait and see.

I must ask though. Do we want to tolerate such campaign tactics in Cupertino?

Why can't Sand Hill use facts and reasons to convince people that they have a great project?
Why can't Council Members convince people Vallco Tier 2 Plan is a good project, instead of using the questionable SB 35 as a threat?
Why can't Sand Hill convince voters that the candidates they support will be good for Cupertino? Instead of doing such tricks to smear the candidates they don't like?
What has Cupertino become?

I hope to call out to anyone who might be associated with Sand Hill to ask them to respect Cupertino residents.
Give us reasons that the Tier 2 Plan is good for Cupertino.
Get other Cupertino residents to convince us the Tier 2 Plan is a good project, not some hired guns.
Please do not use scare tactics to intimidate Cupertino residents into submission.
We deserve respects, not threats.

Cupertino Residents Deserve a Calm Election without Interference


No comments:

Post a Comment