Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Cathy's Speech - signature collecting for the Cupertino Citizens’ Sensible Growth Initiative


Oral Communication on Feb. 2 Council Meeting
Speaker: Cathy Wang

Tittle/Topic: Voices heard from signature collecting for the Cupertino Citizens’ Sensible Growth Initiative


Good evening Mayor Chang, City Council Members, and Staff Members.

My name is Cathy wang.  I left China 24 years ago and lived in Cupertino for the  past 13yrs.  Many cities in China I visit today are overdeveloped, highly congested  and extremely polluted.  High real estate value means nothing when quality of life is non-existent.  The saddest thing is the course is irreversible.  We shouldn’t let it happen to Cupertino, a place I considered home.  


That’s why I have assisted with signature gathering recently.  I’d like to share one story here.   One day I approached to the front door of an old house on Bollinger, I saw a sign:  No solicitors!, as well as "THAT MEANS YOU!" underneath it. Nevertheless I knocked.  An old frail gentleman opened the door, I apologized that I was not soliciting right away.  The minute I mentioned THE HILLS he took my pen with his left hand.  With obvious difficulty in moving his right side and speaking (a sign of an earlier stroke), he slowly moved to the bench at the front porch, carefully put his name down, while slowly telling me he used to walk to the Oaks when the bookstore was still there...he said he sure will vote once we put the initiative in the ballot.  I tried to keep the conversation going or I would cry on the spot, witnessing the helplessness, frustration and anger in his eyes.

At that moment I believe I’m not doing this for myself, more so for these long term residents who are extremely upset at the current unchecked overdevelopment of the city, but couldn't have their voices heard – many lived here for 40, 50, even 60yrs, but they couldn’t walk or drive to city hall any more.  It’s our turn to take the baton to help our community stay our community, while we can still walk, talk and fight.  Mr. Mayor and council members, I hope you hear the VOICE.

Thank you!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment