Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Facing the challenge of growing population, by Xiaowen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Xiaowen Wang
Date: Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Subject:  Facing the challenge of growing population
To: City Council <citycouncil@cupertino.org>, City Clerk <cityclerk@cupertino.org>, planning@cupertino.org, David Brandt <davidb@cupertino.org>, AartiS@cupertino.org, RebeccaT@cupertino.org, KarenG@cupertino.org
Dear Council members,
I am writing to finish my talk last night. 
During my talk, I would like all of us take one step back and look at the big picture of how we use limited land to support a growing population and economy. This is not just a problem of our city, our region, our state or even our country. The buzz word we often heard is urbanization. But I hope you are in the same boat as me that don't believe a buzz word can solve all the problems. 

What we need is first to understand what does this buzz word means, does it just mean high rise every where? Can it be that simple? We need to understand how would the urbanization help us. What kind of conditions are needed to ensure the success of such urbanization? 

Only after we understand the concept, we can then examine if we have those necessary condition in Cupertino. If we do not, what kind of policies needed to get us there? 
 
I am trying to summarize my thinking along this line in the attached slides. I would like to request the Councils to have an independent study on Vallco area on the viability of such an urbanization experiment. This should not be just a project specific EIR but a more comprehensive study of the whole eco system. My hope is that we do not approve or disapprove anything based on one word or one slogan. 

Thanks for listening to me last night and I applaud your effort in dealing with all the complicated challenges we are facing. 
Sincerely,
Xiaowen Wang
 

No comments:

Post a Comment